Tuesday, November 22, 2005

A Quick (musical) Check-In

I'm not dead...just very busy. In that weird, undefinable way. Like if somone asks me how I been, like this,

Cheery Someone: Hey! How've you been?

Me: Busy! [Because I have been.]

Cheery Someone: Whatcha been up to?

Me: [Struggling for words, trying desprately to rememeber what on earth I have been doing and coming lamely up with,] Stuff.

Cheery Someone: [now with undertones of suspicion] So anything particular you've been busy with?

Me: [panicking now, as, though I know I have been busy, I can't think of what I've been busy doing! Throws socially accepted filler in, instead of actual explanation] You know...running around...chores at home...grocery shopping...you know.

Cheery Someone: [Gives up, hearing vague incomprehensible filler and pretends to understand.] Yeah. Sounds like my life recently, too.

Yeah. So this post is going to be socially accepted filler instead of actual soul baring, gut wrenching, raw blog like it should be, but I have a NaNo Novel which is open at the same time as I'm typing this.

I've found that most of my best scenes come from images I hear while listening to a perculiarly evocative song.

"Love Song For my Mom" by Moby, is one of those songs. I wrote a (probably) crucial scene while under the influence of that song. It's purely instrumental, with a sweeping synth background. So calm and beautiful.

"Breathe" by Telepopmusik. It's that Mitusbishi car ad song! It's also like bottled inspiration for my brain. I always have a good idea when listening to it. Also electronic, it's a sort of laid back dance track, with a sound like it's underwater.

"The Highwayman" by Loreena McKennitt. Actually this hasn't inspired my book, I've just been listening to it. It's that poem "The Highwayman" set to music. It's really long, about 10 minutes and a bit repetitive, but the melody is so beautiful that it can last for 10 minutes without being exhausted. Not electronica, this is like a New Age/folk/instrumental piece.

"The Girl From Ipanema" by Stan Getz, with Joao and Astrud Gilberto singing. I've heard about this song forever, but never actually heard this bossa nova gem until recently, and now I can't get it out of my head. I love Astrud Gilberto's vocals, so childlike but sensitive to rhythm. And the irresistable swing of the piece makes me bop around in my seat until my brother stares at me funny. Da da da-dee-dah...

Right now, I'm listening to the Andrews Sisters...love them. They're currently crooning about some outdated form of dance. And they're doing it so well, I would dance the Pennsylvania Polka too, if I knew what it was...

Anyway, must bop off now! Humm-di-dum-dadi-dolaaa...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home