Monday, February 27, 2006

Bleh and sundry

Sorry for the long update between posts, I've been working on other writing projects, some for a contest and also trying to finish up the NaNo novel. I'll probably be devoting all of March to that last venture.

And I just came back from my Grandma's, where we went this weekend for my Mom's birthday. It was pretty fun. We went to Chicago (which I love to do) and to the Shedd aquarium, and then to the Cheesecake Factory. It was Saturday night and they don't take reservations...downstairs there was a twenty minute wait for a pager! But upstairs it was a "cafe" version that was less popular, but needless to say it was a zoo!

One of the main things I love about going to Chicago is the people watching. I find it fascinating to observe all the different kinds of people. I feel like a foreigner, or a farm kid, walking around the big city for the first's so eye opening to see the variety of ways of thinking, talking and dressing.

Now, I don't live in a small town, but there isn't hardly as much variety. You don't see really fashionable people walking around, or anything really out of the ordinary. Now there are exceptions of course, but as a rule, we're pretty much the same.

I mean, you're pretty much either conservative or liberal, white, black, or hispanic, preppy, punk/goth/sk8er, midwestern mom (which is a fashion genre all it's own), artsy, couture-y (they are few and far between), or normal jeans and a t-/sweatshirt.

One time in Chicago, we got in line for an elevator, thinking it went down to the lobby when in fact it went to the 95th floor to a cocktail lounge, enough a different thing in itself, but you should have seen the people in line!

So, it was fun.

But my mood is anything but happy right now, as just a bit earlier, when I was transferring my short story onto the memory stick to work on it with the laptop, I took the version on our main computer and overwrote the version on the memory stick.

Which would have been fine, if the version I overwrote wasn't the latest version, that had included all he editing work I had done on it with my Dad and was practically finished. Not to mention I was getting it ready for a contest at my library in two days.

And that's why I'm feeling a bit ill at the moment. It was hours of work, and hopefully I can get it back, and if not, I hope I remembered everything I wanted in it!


Blogger Rabenstrange said...

I've experienced that same memory card frustration. In my case, I accidentally emailed my teacher a super rough draft of my paper instead of the finished draft. To make matters worse I had been busy and submitted the assignment on the due date.

Fortunately the teacher new me and believe my story about sending the wrong version. In the end it wasn't a big deal but let me tell you when I realized what I had done I nearly died from the horror.

Hopefully your situation will be resolved in a similarly satisfacty manner.

9:01 PM  
Blogger quirkychild said...

Actually, it worked out pretty well.

It hadn't been very long since I had done the edits with my Dad, so I remebered most of it, and I did it on my own this time, so I could really concentrate on what I wanted it to sound like.

So, all in all, it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be! Whew!

9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home