Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I want to be a Princess like the one in Disneyworld

One of the reasons I haven't posted in so long, was because I was on a family trip to Disneyworld. Maybe I'm a sap or a loser, or some other derogatory term, but I am a teenager and I still like Disneyworld.

Not fanatically, but walking down Main Street USA and seeing Cinderella's Castle at the end of it, gives me a little glow. And while I have grown out of running eagerly up to all the costumed characters and holding out my autograph book, when I watched all the other little kids do it, I felt a quiet little pang of loss, and secretly wished I could.

While my Dad doesn't really like Disney, (It's contrived and fake, as he puts it), and even though I'm no profound believer in "that special magic of Disney" myself...I have an affinity with the storybook quality of the place.

Seeing Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan and Wendy in tangible form, even though I know it's just a person in costume...there's a realization of a fantasy in that. Maybe it's because I enjoy dressing up in full period costume myself, and I like the stage atmosphere and drama of people walking around in character, but it's really special to me.

Also, no matter how sappy the lyrics to every song are, you can still catch me walking around the house, singing and humming "So This is Love" . Which easily makes it onto my all time favorite songs list. One memorable time, while I was loading the dishwasher, I belted out "Colors of The Wind" and was shocked to hear a burst of applause coming from the living room. It was my brother at the computer, grinning like a maniac. I even attempted "Once Upon a Dream" but gave up halfway through as I am not a first soprano, no matter how much I wish it.

Although I don't like them all. While I may love "Just Around The Riverbend", I also run screaming from the room whenever "A Whole New World" comes on. And I press the skip button on the cd player when it "Someday My Prince Will Come".

But when I'm there in the Magic Kingdom, seeing Belle sing about her "little town", or watching Sleeping Beauty dance with her prince, or Wendy learning how to fly for the first time, something resonates.

It's the atmosphere of uncomprimised ideals. In a world where you're doing good to get second best, and where most girls never are swept away by their prince, or claim he doesn't exist, it's a little voice that says "Why not?".

Although "magic" and "believing in your dreams" is a worldly substitute for The Holy Spirit and having faith, it still stirs that ideal up. It's not cynical at all, it celebrates what most people are afraid to admit,

That they really do want a storybook life. That when they put their broom down, there'll be a fairy godmother to turn them into a princess. That there will be a prince who will search the whole country for them, after one dance, one look in her eyes. That Love and Beauty are alive and well.

It reminds me of the real and living Truth,

"No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him." 1 Corinthians 2:9 (I think)

God has called us beautiful and loved even right now, crowning us,

"...and provide for those who grieve in Zion, to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. " Isaiah 61:3

It only gets better,

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you...Then you will look and be radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy; the wealth on the seas will be brought to you, to you the riches of the nations will come. "

Thank you Lord, for giving us the gift of Your presence and blessing which surpasses a storybook life anyday. And for making us beautiful and loving us, no matter what we do or feel like. You are the ultimate Author and I praise You for your wondrous works.
Amen.

[Edit: After I posted this, I hopped over to my Dad's blog, Good and Faithful Servant (Isn't that funny, both of our's begin with "Good and...") and read his post about Disneyworld...I completely didn't know he posted about it, but it makes a nice little study in compare and contrast. So to the few (if any) people reading this, go over to it and click on the entry "TMD" and read his take on it. All I can say, is I told you he didn't like it.]

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo*Marie said...

Hey,

haha I know what you mean. I babysit two little girls who just love the Princess'. I'm going to Disney in 2 weeks for my graduation present, it's my first time & I cant wait! I love the songs..haha even though I'm a self-proclaimed tomboy with a real hate for sparkles & pink & such. There's still that little piece of me that loves dressing up and thinking about fairytales. Anyhow..nice post..I'm off

~Jo

3:02 PM  
Blogger Matt said...

You're a pretty good writer.

My friend just got back from a 6 month stint as a Disney World employee. To his great relief he wasn't cast as a princess.

12:05 AM  
Blogger quirkychild said...

*is touched by all the nice people who dropped by and suffered through her mind-numbing ramblings to comment*

Raben, How interesting! The whole time I was there I wondered what it must be like to be someone who works at Disney...

Jo, yeah, I'm not into sparkles either...although I bet you couldn't tell it from the post! I loved dressing up too...oh for the good old days...

Hayley, I like "I Wanna Be Like You" too! I can't sing it around my cousin, she makes unflattering comparisons to certain large red apes...*grumbles*

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home