Sunday, March 26, 2006

A Repentant Blogger

I'm afraid I have been bad. I haven't updated with anything resembling regularity and have even gone off into the stratosphere for stretches of weeks. But I am not dead, only delinquent.

And strangely (or not so strangely considering Life and all it's aspects) there was an avalanche of things to do after we got off the media fast. Articles and tiling and long visits to my Grandmother's and excursions to the flower show in Chicago. And THEN I finally found The Restaurant at the End of the Universe at my library and greedily checked out the whole rest of the Hitchhiker series.

The nagging realization of my abhorrent selfishness bothered me into further procrastination, into I just couldn't TAKE it anymore. So I am back and am wondering if everyone else's blog has given them odd neuroses and enough emotional baggage to flatten a Clydesdale.

Oh, but I have more assigned reading for you all.

The Code of the Woosters is one of the best Jeeves and Wooster books I've read. They're all wonderful, but this one is really in top form. Besides, if you've read the others and heard Bertie refer to an incident with a cow-creamer, this is it.

The Butler Did It is, yes, Wodehouse again, but not Jeeves and Wooster. It is one of his other delightful books about a group of young people, a butler, an art curate and the entanglements they get themselves into. This is one of the best non-Jeeves, non-Blandings novels I've read.

And I know everyone and his nephew have read the entire Hitchhiker series except me, but I finally picked up the rest of them and have been devouring them accordingly. The Restaurant...etc. are really good. I just finished Life, The Universe and Everything and they have been good, except for slightly depressing endings.

But I must go, I must write some e-mails and work on some other writing projects which my Mom wants me to (when I said I was updating my blog, she gave me a dissapointed look.). Oh, but one last thing, I saw Mr. Smith goes to Washington last night. Again, me being drastically behind the times, but whatever.

I did, however, like it. Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't know that's what a filibuster was until I saw the movie. I thought it was just some sort of legal document you filed. Practically holding the Senate hostage though, is way cooler. And all that sappy goodness about Truth and Idealism...ahh. I can't decide which is better, Jimmy Stewart's filibuster scenes, or Claude Rains' corrupt senator breaking at the end. Both were such great actors.

But, really must go now! Have spent an inordinate amount of time over this...but that's what I get for being emotionally involved!

*Edited for spelling by her brother*

*Brother given stern talking-to about hacking into sister's blog without telling her, even if it was to change spelling*

6 Comments:

Blogger quirkychild said...

Okay. I won't feel bad. *feels much better in fact*

11:30 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

It seems to me that when everyone I knew was reading Hitchikers and raving about how cool it was I had to rebel and ignore it. *laugh* Now, I have absolutely no idea what it's about. *shrug* I feel like I'm missing a cultural reference or something. I suppose I'll add it to my 'To Read' list. *laugh*
Oh, and don't feel bad about being gone for a while - I've been gone for ages and I'm not feeling a bit of remorse! *grin* I may take breaks more often just because I get so much stuff from my short and long term goals list accomplished! (yes - I am a list maker. *chuckle*)
Glad you're back, too!

12:49 PM  
Blogger Polka Dotted Pickles said...

Hi! I linked to your blog from Rabenstranger. Nice blog!

11:55 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

and now your back!!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Matt said...

The BBC radio dramas were the original and best format for the Hitchiker series. I recommend finding taped copies. I'm lucky that my library has a set.

Glad to see that you're back. I'm currently on a bit of a blogging sabbatical but I hope to be back at it within the next week.

11:02 PM  
Blogger quirkychild said...

Ooh, radio dramas...if our library doesn't have them I'll have to make a petition.

Yes Christy, at least read the first one. His humor is the dry British kind...but after Life, the Universe and Everything they get kind of weird.

Hey Pickles, Stephanie, nice to see you! Thanks for the compliment.

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home